Angela

Thursday 31 July 2014

Favorite summer drinks: Cold brewed espresso

Right now I`m totally addicted to iced coffee. My favorite part of the day (besides when Sean comes home) is when the baby is sleeping and I`m in my office with a cup of my iced coffee. Its actually how I look right now. I have been making them at home trying to save a buck ;) Because our income dropped a couple months ago with Sean`s new job. Plus our cost of living has gone up with us now living in the north. I like saving money where I can anyways and like making treats healthier/lower calories.
 You need to start with a nice smooth coffee or espresso concentrate. You don`t use regular brewed coffee or you will end up with a more bitter and watered down version. Cold brewing takes away the acidity and gives you a more smooth taste. Here`s how I brew up a batch of iced espresso:

I ground up 1 cup of  beans. Right now I'm using Starbucks dark roast espresso. We store the unused beans in the fridge to keep them fresh. You could use regular coffee grounds too (1/2 cup coffee for every 2 1/2 cups of water)

I dump it all into my glass pitcher and fill it with cold water. I used about about 6 3/4 cups of water. Give it a stir to make sure all the coffee is covered and mixed. Then I let this sit over night (at least 9 hours) You could do a shorter sit period of a few hours. The longer you leave it the stronger it gets. In the morning I pour the mixture into my french press to strain all the grounds through. You can store the concentrate in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. It never lasts this long in our house. A batch for us only lasts a few days!
Pour 1 cup of the espresso and add the sweetener (Sean takes 1 1/4 cups of espresso haha) I have different syrups and sugars. I personally use a spoon of sugar free caramel or else stevia. My husband likes a spoon of cane sugar in his. Then I add 1/4 cup of soy coffee creamer or else equal parts unsweetened almond milk to espresso concentrate depending on my mood. You can use regular cream or milk obviously and add more or less depending on your taste. We like the espresso taste strong and creamy with just a hint of sweet.
Finish with your ice and its ready to enjoy. I know there is a lot of coffee snobbery out there haha The way I explained is just the way we like iced espresso right now ;)


1 comment:

  1. 6 3/4 cups water to 1 cup espresso beans seems like a lot of water. I made my first batch of cold brew espresso last night using 3/4 cup espresso beans & 3 cups water.....And mine still doesn't seem concentrated enough like true espresso shots.....Hmm, what gives?

    ReplyDelete